Wednesday, April 21, 2010

My Weekly Rant

This week’s topic… FORMULA FEEDING.

It’s common knowledge that “breast is best.”  The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding exclusively for at least 6 months.  The World Health Organization goes even further and recommends nursing for two years.  Yet, only 13.6% of moms are still exclusively breastfeeding at 6 months.  I imagine that the percentage at two years is practically nonexistent.

Almost everything you read will talk about how AMAZING breastfeeding is for you and your baby.  But it’s not true; breast is not best.  Breast is normal.  Breast milk is what babies have eaten for thousands and thousands of years.  Breast milk is fine; formula is sub-par.  Articles will say to breastfeed your baby but don’t worry about it too much if you don’t breastfeed.  If it didn’t matter whether your baby was breastfed or formula fed, why would there be tons and tons of studies proving otherwise?

I’ll admit it.  I only breastfed Kaelin for six months.  Why did I stop?  Honestly, it was because I was selfish.  I was tired of dealing with nightly feedings.  I was annoyed at having my breasts leak in the middle of the grocery store.  I got free formula from WIC.  But above all else, I quit breastfeeding because everyone told me that “formula is just fine.”

Now, almost 9 years later, I realize what a load of crap that is.

Now, before you start in with your buts and what ifs, I understand that there are times when a baby has to be formula fed.  I know several moms who have had various breast surgeries that have either removed all their milk ducts or severed the duct itself.  In fact, I was worried I wouldn’t be able to breastfeed because of several biopsies, a lumpectomy, radiation, and a couple rounds of chemo.  My goal was to try and I’m very blessed that I can still nurse my baby.  Thank God that there is formula for moms in these sorts of situations, but these moms don’t account for the 76.4% of women who aren’t breastfeeding at 6 months.  Hell, I’m pretty sure that moms who aren’t able to breastfeed know that breastmilk is better than formula.  (Plus, milk banks are on the grow.)

“But I don’t make enough milk.”

That’s crap.  I’m sorry to say it, but it is.  Gina, aka The Feminist Breeder, said it perfectly.  “If only 13.6% of us could make enough milk, the human race would never have survived.”  Breastfeeding is all about supply and demand.  You make colostrum for the first few days after the baby is born.  Yes, the baby is only eating teaspoons of the stuff, but that’s all he needs.  I don’t understand why doctors feel the need to suggest formula because “the milk hasn’t come in yet.”  Just because a baby weighs a couple ounces less than some graph says he should isn’t a good enough reason to feed your baby man-made crap.  Besides, you know what happens when you feed your baby that bottle?  The baby’s not suckling at the breast and your body doesn’t get signaled to make more milk.  When you don’t make more milk, you assume your supply is too low and you give your baby another bottle of formula.  When your baby is drinking the formula, he’s not at the boob and your body doesn’t make more milk.  It’s a nasty cycle.

Breast milk is recommended.

Breast milk is recommended.

Let’s say that you can breastfeed and just want to supplement with formula.  Have you ever looked at a can of the stuff?  I’m a chemist and even I don’t know what half the chemicals are in it.  Do we know anything about the long-term safety of it?  You can’t watch the news without hearing a new report about how high fructose corn syrup will kill you or how aspartame gives you brain cancer.  Parents are paying good money to buy organic peas for their toddlers, but they have no problem feeding their infants chemicals.  A can of formula has more ingredients than a soda.  It sort of reminds me of Britney Spears feeding her babies Coke.

That's a LONG list!

That's a LONG list!

In 2005 and 2006, Similac recalled over 300,000 because of manufacturing problems.  I wonder what happened to those who didn’t get the memo, opened up a can at 3:00 in the morning and didn’t see the black plastic particles mixed in with the formula.  Whoops!  Between 1982 and 1994, there were at least 22 infant formula recalls, 7 of which were life-threatening.  Nestle has been in the news for possibly violating World Health Organizations formula codes.  We need to remember that these companies are out to make money, not nurture our children.  I’m much happier feeding my baby something I KNOW is safe.

Formula fed babies are sicker.  Kaelin constantly had an ear infection or a cold.  She had diarrhea.  She had allergies.  Harper has not had a single malady.  Maybe it’s just a coincidence, but are you willing to take that risk?  Breastfeeding is hard, at first.  It takes work, but if you haven’t realized it yet, so does everything about parenting.  Just wait until you get to potty training.

Edited to add:  I’m not trying to guilt women who formula feed.  I AM judging people (moms, doctors, well-meaning strangers) who assume that formula is just as good as breast milk without any dangers or those who encourage moms to just throw in the towel and formula feed already.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails